Many people tend to grind their teeth in certain situations, but individuals who do it all the time – including in their sleep – are causing severe damage to their teeth. While seeing a specialist about stress and anxiety that can lead to tooth grinding is essential, as well as cutting down on caffeine and alcohol, you should also consult a dentist. Here are some of the ways teeth grinding can cause damage:
- Breaking and Cracking – When you grind your teeth, you are putting a lot of unnecessary pressure that can cause cracking and eventual breaking. This can cause deeper problems if you already have poor dental hygiene.
- Worn Down Teeth – Over the years, teeth grinding can start to wear teeth down to stumps. When this happens, people will eventually have to start using dentures or look into getting dental implants. If you think you are grinding, you should consult with a dentist as soon as possible.
- Jaw Damage – Not only does grinding hurt your teeth, but it also causes problems with the jaw. Issues include pain in the temporomandibular joint – commonly known as TMJ.
Taking care of your teeth starts with a great dentist in Wheeling, IL. You can count on Dr. Kim and his team at Northwest Implant Dental Spa for exceptional care.
Having access to a dependable dentist is very important. Whether you are seeing a specialist for dental implants or just going to a dentist for a checkup, you want to make sure you are going to a dentist that will provide you with individualized care.
Not all mouths and teeth are alike, so it’s vital that you speak with a dentist that will go over your individual needs before working with you. When you visit Dr. Daniel Y. Kim, you can rest assured that you will receive exceptional, up-to-date dental assistance. He has been providing implants for more than 25 years, offering individualized services for people that other dentists may not accept. Furthermore, he has a team working with him, helping you restore your smile and maintain a happy and healthy mouth.
Finding a permanent solution to gaps in your smile starts with a free consultation with Dr. Kim. He takes the time to review your individual case and discuss his many implant options, such as crowns, veneers, bridges, and other additional procedures. When you are seeking a dentist in Wheeling, IL, and the Chicagoland area, you can contact the Northwest Implant Dental Spa at (847) 629-4875 to make an appointment.
Maintaining daily home care for your teeth and gums impacts more than just your appearance. The links between healthy gums and certain diseases are more evident today than ever before. Regular brushing and flossing keep the spread of bacteria under control. Otherwise, bacteria can cause infections that lower the body’s resistance to such serious illnesses as diabetes, stroke, and heart disease. Bacterial infections that are rooted in the mouth also affect arthritis and respiratory illnesses, which can be caused by bacteria in the air passages.
A most knowledgeable dentist in Wheeling, IL, at Northwest Implant Dental Spa understands the consequences poor oral hygiene has on the body. The exact amount of influence mouth diseases have on the immune system is not known. However, many people make no connection between their oral health and the total wellness of their bodies.
Keep the bacteria in your mouth at normal levels by brushing twice a day and flossing after meals. A small amount of naturally occurring bacteria does not cause any problems if your oral healthcare continues to be ideal. The same applies to the plaque buildup on your teeth. Preventing plaque from building up on your teeth helps ensure that it won’t be able to travel and settle in the arteries of the heart. The evidence is growing that there is a connection between gum disease and heart disease. Additionally, it’s important to keep up with regular six-month cleanings.
Are you in need of a crown? Before you start the process, it’s important to learn more about the materials used for these dental implants:
- Cubic Zirconia – Many people prefer cubic zirconia for their crowns as it is stronger than porcelain and looks better than gold implants. Crowns from this material are made from a digital scan, which means we can be very accurate when placing it in on your tooth. Please note that people with metal sensitivities often have issues with these crowns.
- Gold – Gold is the standard for many people getting crowns. It is durable, lasts for a long time, and is gentle when it used amongst other teeth. Perhaps the biggest drawback of gold crowns is that it is very obvious that the tooth has been missing.
- Porcelain – When you are seeking a crown that looks more like the other teeth in your mouth, porcelain is right for the job. Porcelain crowns are ideal for people who have issues with metal in their mouth and are less sensitive to hot or cold temperatures.
For more than 25 years, Dr. Daniel Y. Kim has been doing crowns and bridges for people throughout the area. When people are looking for a talented dentist in Wheeling, IL, they can rest assured that Dr. Kim and his team are able to assist you.